Carers ACT is a good starting point for young carers up to 25 years of age. Help offered includes:
- giving you information and advice
- offering scholarships and assistance with education costs
- referring you to counselling and/or support groups
- arranging short-term replacement care so you can have a break
- organising groups and activities with other young carers
St Nicholas Young Carers Program – provides young carers between the ages of 9 – 17 with respite and recreation. For more information please visit the website, or contact the Youth Team on email@example.com or call (02) 6234 7321.
CYCLOPS ACT – is a program supporting young people, up to 25 years old who care for a family member experiencing a physical or intellectual disability, mental health issues, alcohol and other drug related issues and/or chronic illness. The program supports young carers through family case management, personal support/advice, advocacy, organising recreational activities, information and educational support and skills development. Ph (02) 6232 2488 or email firstname.lastname@example.org Download a brochure.
For information about more supports and information for young carers see Carers ACT
If you need someone to talk to you can call:
- Carer Gateway Counselling Service phone 1800 422 737
- Kids Helpline on 1800 551 800
- Mental Health Carer Helpline on 1300 554 660 run by Mind Australia
- Lifeline on 13 11 14
Talking with others going through similar experiences often helps. You can talk online with other carers through:
- online forum for mental health carers run by Mental Health Carers Australia
- Help Centre run by Sane Australia
- online forum for carers run by Carer Gateway
- Children of Parents with Mental Illness (COPMI) has a range of online resources and a forum.
You can also access online support for your own mental health such as: