Carers ACT is a good starting point for young carers up to 25 years of age. Help offered includes:
- giving you information and advice
- offering scholarships and assistance with education costs
- referring you to counselling and/or support groups
- arranging short-term replacement care so you can have a break
- organising groups and activities with other young carers
You can find more information on their website here. To get in touch, phone 1800 422 737 or (02) 6296 9900 or email email@example.com
St Nicholas Young Carers Program – provides young carers between the ages of 9 – 17 with respite and recreation. For more information please visit the website, or contact the Youth Team on firstname.lastname@example.org or call (02) 6234 7321.
CYCLOPS ACT – is a program supporting young people, up to 25 years old who care for a family member experiencing a physical or intellectual disability, mental health issues, alcohol and other drug related issues and/or chronic illness. The program supports young carers through family case management, personal support/advice, advocacy, organising recreational activities, information and educational support and skills development. Ph (02) 6232 2488 or email email@example.com Download a brochure.
For information about more supports and information for young carers see Carers ACT
If you need someone to talk to you can call:
- Carer Gateway Counselling Service phone 1800 422 737
- Kids Helpline on 1800 551 800
- Mental Health Carer Helpline on 1300 554 660 run by Mind Australia
- Lifeline on 13 11 14
Talking with others going through similar experiences often helps. You can talk online with other carers through:
- online forum for mental health carers run by Mental Health Carers Australia
- Help Centre run by Sane Australia
- online forum for carers run by Carer Gateway
- Children of Parents with Mental Illness (COPMI) has a range of online resources and a forum.
You can also access online support for your own mental health such as:
- eheadspace provides online and telephone support and counselling for young people aged 16-25.
- Beyond Blue has a range of youth specific information and supports.