Online information for mental health carers
If you want to know more about mental illness and caring for someone with a mental illness, you could start with these websites.
Lifeline has a tool kit for carers of people with a mental illness which provides information about:
- the impact of being a carer
- strategies for supporting and sustaining yourself as a carer
- positive ways to help and support a person living with a mental illness
- carer’s rights and entitlements
- where to go for help
Other helpful information includes the following.
- HealthDirect has an introduction to caring for someone with a mental illness
- The Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Psychiatrists has information about mental illnesses and disorders and about caring for someone with a mental illness
- SANE Australia has information about mental conditions and treatment, and about support available for carers
- Black Dog Institute has information and online self-testing about mental illnesses and information about getting help
- Mind has information about mental health services and information for carers
- Eating Disorders Families Australia has information about eating disorders and resources for carers specific to caring for a person with an eating disorder.
There are also several forums to chat with other mental health carers: